Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hamburger Vegetable Soup

This recipe was given to me by someone that I used to work with. I've changed it and made it my own. It originally was supposed to have cabbage in it. I've changed the veggies in it and added macaroni. It kinda reminds me of a minestrone soup in a round about way. You'll need:

1 lb. hamburger
V-8 juice
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped(optional)
2 c. water + 1 beef bouillon cube or 2 c. beef broth
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can rotel or diced tomatoes juice and all
green beans
peas
carrots
macaroni
garlic powder(optional)

In a large soup pot, brown your hamburger along with the chopped onion and chopped celery and drain. My SO doesn't like garlic, but I do. I sprinkle a generous amount of garlic powder on the meat mixture when it is browning. He never says a word. I try to leave the hamburger in chunks instead of crumbling it up like you would for spaghetti sauce.

Put the hamburger mixture back in the pot add the V-8 juice, water, bouillon cube, veggies, and macaroni. Bring to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer. It's done when the macaroni is tender.

Note***We like our soup on the spicy side so once in awhile I use the spicy V-8 or add the rotel. I normally use the frozen veggies when adding veggies. I don't have a set amount of veggies that are used in this soup because most of what I cook has no recipe. You can use canned veggies(drained) if you wish. Since they are already cooked I would wait until the macaroni is about done cooking and then add the canned veggies. You can season this soup however you want. I normally don't add salt since some of the ingredients have salt in them. Or I add very little. You can add whatever veggies you want. Sometimes I add spinach for a change of flavor and potato chunks instead of macaroni. Zucchini would be good in this too. BTW--make sure that the pot that you cook this soup in is not aluminum. Aluminum and tomatoes do not agree with each other and the soup will pick up a funky taste. It's the acid in tomatoes that cause this reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment