I normally make chicken enchiladas rolled up using corn tortillas. This time I made a pie instead. I wanted it to last longer than 1 or 2 days.
You will need:
1 rotisserie chicken(I get the garlic flavored one and you will only need part of the it)
1 small onion chopped
2-3 garlic cloves chopped
4-6 whole roasted green peppers chopped
1 can nacho cheese soup or sauce
1 small can enchilada sauce(I use the red sauce)
corn tortillas
2-4c grated cheese(I used the fiesta cheese that has a mixture of cheeses in it)
Heat the oven to 350 degrees
Saute the onion and garlic in a bit of oil until it the onion is translucent. Mix around 2 cups of the chicken shredded, the chopped green peppers, 1 cup of grated cheese, and the nacho cheese in a large bowl. Add the onions and garlic and mix. You might want to add a bit of milk to thin the chicken mixture. Don't add too much or it will be soupy.
Pour around half of the can of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 13x9 inch cake glass cake pan. Spread it around. Lay 6 corn tortillas on top of the sauce. The tortillas will overlap a bit, but that is okay. Spread a third of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Sprinkle some grated cheese on this. Repeat 2 more times. Add the final layer of tortillas to the top of the pie. Spread the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the final layer of tortillas. Sprinkle whatever amount of grated cheese you want on top. I like cheese, so, I tend to put lots of cheese on top.
Cook it in the oven until it is heated thoroughly and the cheese is melted on top. It will take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to be thoroughly heated. Keep an eye on it so that the cheese on top doesn't burn.
Suggested garnishes: shredded lettuce, chopped onions or chopped green onions, diced tomatoes, sour cream, sliced olives, Picante sauce, and Habenaro sauce(for those who like it spicy).
I'll add a picture as soon as I can get one taken......
No comments:
Post a Comment