Friday, September 9, 2011

Recycle & Re-purpose

So how many of you out there recycle and re-purpose things?  Or do you just throw them away because you have no further use for them?

We recycle or re-use just about everything from plastic to cardboard to styrofoam.  The following is a list of things that you can put out in the recycling bin depending on your area or take to your local recycling center:


1. Brown, green, or clear glass
2. Cardboard
3. Chipboard(cereal boxes, cracker boxes, etc...)
4. Newspaper
5. Junk mail
6. Plastic grocery bags
7. Tin cans
8. Aluminum cans(we save them for cash)
9. Magazines & phone books
10. Styrofoam
11. #1 plastic(pop bottles, etc)
12. #2 plastic(milk jugs, etc)
13. #3-#7 plastic

Your local UPS store will take styrofoam peanuts.  Check other packaging places to see if they accept them too.  Places like Battery Outfitters will buy some of your used batteries.  Call first to see what type of batteries they will accept.  Check your local electronics place to see if they dispose of used lithium batteries.  Also, check your local hardware store to see if they take used rechargeable batteries or lithium batteries.

We have a compost pile for things that can be composted.  There is a list of what we put in our compost pile in an earlier post.  By recycling and composting we only fill one 13 gallon bag of trash in a week or a little over a week.

I re-purpose and reuse different things.  A former neighbor of ours didn't have the room to take some of her late husband's things in his shop.  I now am the happy owner of a tool storage cabinet.  It stores my embroidery thread and some beading supplies.  It also serves as his end table in the front room.  Ok, so, I am a bit eclectic in my decorating.  I'm not done yet....

Several years ago, a friend gave me an old coffee table minus the foot cushions.  I bought some large pillows to fit it.  It was used as our coffee table at first and now it serves as extra seating in our front room.

My old toy chest serves as our coffee table and it also serves as extra storage.  Now that's old!!!!  Hahahaha!!! Old bell jars hold dried flowers from floral bouquets.  Other jars hold buttons.  Butter dishes without lids make good candle holders.  Three votive candles will fit perfectly on them.  Another butter dish is used to set salt and pepper grinders on.  It catches what doesn't fall on your food.  Several small plates hold different candles as do different kinds of finds from flea markets.  You can't tell I like candles can you?

Shoe boxes work great for putting bank statements and canceled checks in.  Important papers need to be kept for at least seven years.  I have an old cigar box from when my late father worked at Dillon's many, many moons ago. Dad used it to store electronic parts.  He marked up the outside of it.  So, I have plans to decoupage the outside in the future.  I'll be using it for my either my quilting or crafting stuff. 

I re-purposed an old binder from when I was going to college.  It is now used for my handpiecing.  There are several pockets and a file storage area.




I bought a few pencil bags for a dollar each.  They hold everything you need for taking a project with you.








 There's also room to hold your notes or pattern if you have one printed off from your computer.


I'll have to see if I can find some kind of rings to hold the pencil cases together just in case I don't want to take the whole binder with me.  Or I can tie them together with ribbon or scrap pieces of fabric.

Trade your used books with your family or friends.  Or see if your local library would want them.  Our local library has a used book store that accepts donations of used books.  The sales from the proceeds benefit the local library.

Your old towels, wash clothes, or really worn out cotton clothes can be used to clean, stain or make something new with.  There are some creative people out there that have some great ideas for making something new out of something old.

Have a garage sale.  There just might be someone out there that can use what you don't want anymore.  We really don't have a place to have a garage sale.  So we take our unwanted things to different resale shops.

Some resale shops will sell clothing on commission.  There are different places here that take donations.  What they sell benefit people in need.  I took things in the past to a resale shop that helped me years ago when I needed the help.  My favorite place to take things or look for various items now is a resale shop that benefits the local women's shelter not that I have need to go there.

I'll post pictures later of an old dresser that was my late sister's and mine when we were growing up.
The dresser is going to be stripped and stained for a newer look.  This on my list of things to do while I'm on vacation 'til a week from Saturday.  Will have to go to work one day in the middle of the week.  Don't ask....

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie, Great post I have enjoyed reading it very much. Yep, I repurpose, reuse, recycle etc. The kids learn about doing it at school too but we are getting even more into it. I have been reading a collection of 'Housekeeping' entries from the namesake in the UK during WW2 when they had to be scrupulously careful because of rationing.
    We cant put styrofoam in our recycle bin but most everything else you listed. They are trialling Compost bins for people who throw out stuff that can be composted including garden waste. I don't need one as I recycle all my garden waste including the weeds that are used in weed teas/compost teas. All prunings get chopped up by hand for the garden or garden pathways or for the fireplace.
    Clothes and other bits and pieces go to charities if and when I have them which isnt too often as I resize clothes, scrap quilt,make cushion covers and shopping bags as well as cut up for rags. I use old crockery for decoration. Old glass vases for my button, lace and ribbon and jewell bits and pieces collections. Old books are reread and also go for collage pieces or decoupage, old hooks are reused, lace tablecloths become curtains as do Indian saris. I love old frames for use as they are, for paintings, mirrors or for quilt blocks. The library takes books for its big book sale for charity. An old hat box does for Zainabs barbies and toys, a can chest holds my quilt magazines,large coffee bottles hold up some extra shelves in the panty, old vases do as bird baths, old colanders do as strawberry pots, old mesh from windows is good for sieving fine dirt or to line hanging baskets and strawberry colanders, egg containers are good for seedlings as are toilet paper rolls. Old towels layered make great hot pot holders and so on. This year I hope to use some stockings and onion bags to hold up watermelons and pumpkins if I can get them climb. lol

    It is always great to come across someone else who does their bit for the planet and themselves. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Hey, forgot to say I really like your quilt/project bag. Gee that kept well. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley, I love your ideas for repurposing and reusing things. You just gave me an idea for a frame that was intended for a picture of a flower in my garden. It didn't really turn out the way I wanted. I can use it for a quilt block or some other fabric project instead. Thanks! =) I have some wore out t-shirts that I am saving for a quilt. Thinking of making it for a camping quilt.

    Thank very much for your compliment on the quilt/project bag.

    ReplyDelete